Friday, 21 January 2011

the dawn treader

I've been meaning to post something for a few days but just haven't got around to it. Not because I haven't had any time. Haven't worked since Monday, though I am working tomorrow. Sometimes it's hard not to be frustrated about shift work. I have all these days off during the week, and then tomorrow I will get up when it's still dark and work all day on a Saturday. Though to be fair, Brian has work to do tomorrow too. And we did have lots of quality time together this week. (thanks to a new game called Agricola- it's really fun, and pretty complicated- a birthday present from Mom and Dad Claus.) Like Mum says, I should just enjoy my time off- enjoy not being tired and stressed out from the busy ER- and have lots of time to think and relax and get little tasky things done. The work will come, it always does.

There was a coupon in the fliers for a one week free deluxe membership at the gym on campus so I did take advantage of that. Swam a few times, ran on the indoor track, even did an aerobics class. I'm not really one for gyms though. I didn't even go near the treadmills and weights. The aerobics class was okay, but I felt a bit uncoordinated. I liked the running inside though, on the track. And I do really enjoy swimming as well. It was nice, though, to do some indoor exercise in shorts or a bathing suit when its frigid outside.

We brought home some Dutch food that we got as a reward for making oliebollen for New Year's at the Dutch Shop... I just had a slice of gember koek. Mmmm. It's a rectangular brick of fairly dryish, dark rye cake with chunks of ginger in it. Not exactly gourmet, but I happen to think that it's delicious.

I think that I'm looking forward to spring this year more than any other year. Last year, we got engaged at about this time so I was really looking forward to summer. But at the same time, I needed lots of time to plan the wedding. This year- It's not that I'm not enjoying where we're at now. But I'm looking forward to a warm house, with windows open-- not having them sealed shit with insulating plastic. And having the temperature in here above 15 degrees so my fingers don't get so cold when I type, and and so that it's a mad dash to get out of warm sweaters and into bed at night. And just the spring flowers and greenery. But I think that this is a common phenomenon this time of year. The anticipation of spring, though it is a long way off still.

And winter has its own charms, its true. Sparkly snow and steamy hot drinks. Mittens and hats. Icy.

Also, in relation to the title of this post- Brian and I saw the Voyage of the Dawn Treader on Sunday night. It was excellent. I absolutely love Narnia. I think they could even be counted as my favourite books of all time. Aslan, oh Aslan..... "In your world, you will call Me by another name"-- the connections between Christianity and this fantasy world are multiple and beautiful and fantastic. I love it. And when Reepicheep crosses the wall of water to go to Aslan's Country, the tears were rolling. I couldn't help it. It was just such a beautiful picture of death not being death- of being a crossing to another better, more long awaited place. Something about the whole thing.. about Aslan standing there with the others, telling them it was not their time yet, and that they had unfinished work to do- all of it just made my heart burst. Narnia seems to do that to me for some reason. I feel a bit silly about it, but it's true, so why not embrace it? :)





and now, back to Newfoundland....
Pippy Park with the birthday boy



morning coffee sun


1 comment:

kiwiberg said...

Oh Jenny,it was good to talk to you this morning. And yes, enjoy this time off from work. You were totally yourself this morning and not tired or stressed from work.I too, look forward to Spring. The bright colours of tulips,my favourite and the grass turning green. I want to spring forward to go riding with Dad but then I think time already goes so fast. So I will embrace each day and not wish my life away.Enjoy your day and I will too. The sun is shinning and it is nice and warm behind the glass.! :)Love you, Mum.